Issues in Example code

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Feb 15 17:17:27 GMT 2016

On 15 Feb 2016, at 16:27, Shiv Kandikuppa <shiv12095 at iiitd.ac.in> wrote:

> I am following the Xapian Gsoc guide (https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide#Mentoring). I have successfully checked out and built the code. I am trying out the python codes given at (http://getting-started-with-xapian.readthedocs.org/en/latest/overview.html#datasets-and-example-code). The following are the steps that I have performed.:
> 	• Checked out the code at https://github.com/xapian/xapian-docsprint
> 	• python index1.py ../../data/states.csv index1_states.py.db
> 	• python search1.py index1_states.py.db/ Montana
> However I am getting the following output:
> INFO:xapian.search:'Montana'[0:10] =

Can you point me to where in the getting started guide it suggests you should use the states dataset with index1.py? Because they aren’t compatible. (In theory we could make the different data sets compatible with index1.py, but we can’t for instance make the museum catalogue data compatible with index_ranges2.py (which uses the year of admission to the union and population to provide sortable values).

You can see the states dataset in action (with index_ranges2.py) at in the howto on range queries, where it discussed handling dates (https://getting-started-with-xapian.readthedocs.org/en/latest/howtos/range_queries.html#handling-dates).

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org