Ranking projects

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Mar 4 14:45:42 GMT 2016

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 03:10:45PM +0300, Polina Kirichenko wrote:

> I'm Polina from Russia and I'm very interested in Ranking projects
> (weighting schemes, letor and clustering). I have big experience in
> programming in C++, machine learning and natural language processing. I
> would really love to conact mentors of these projects and discuss them.

Hi, Polina. Xapian operates a 'group mentoring' approach, which means
that you can (and should!) just discuss projects and ideas either here
on the mailing list or on IRC, whichever is easier for you. That way
everyone can help and benefit.

Have you looked at our guide for potential GSoC students
(https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide)? It has a number of steps
that should get you up and running with the Xapian code, and towards
getting your first code changes into Xapian itself. (This is true even
if you aren't applying for GSoC, but if you are we strongly recommend
trying to get a small change accepted, because it helps us get you
ready for GSoC in terms of working with git, our processes and
standards and so on.)

If you have any further questions, please ask away :-)

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org