GSOC 2016 Project: Weighting Schemes

jaideep singh chauhan jaideepiit2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 01:47:40 GMT 2016

Hi,

I am a third year undergraduate student at the Indian Institute Of
Technology, Kharagpur.I'm highly interested in the field of Information
Retrieval and have experience working on IR based projects.I am currently
working on a researcher recommendation project where I've used the BM25
weighting scheme to diversify the recommendations for researchers working
in a particular research field.I'm proficient at C/C++, JAVA and python and
have relevant knowledge of Information Retrieval.I'm new to open source
development though and I hope I'll progress soon.

I went through the list of your proposed projects and the one that
fascinates me the most is Ranking:Weighting schemes.

The project proposes incorporation of more weighting schemes and thus what
I wanted to know was that what kind of schemes are we looking at to
incorporate, are they various other probabilistic weighting schemes similar
to BM25 or is there any scope for improvements in the language modeling .
Both of the above mentioned class of schemes are highly parameter dependent
thus we can also look into some non-parametric weighting schemes.Based on
the response I can come up with the pros and cons of the various weighting
schemes.
Looking forward to contributing to Xapian!
Cheers.