GSOC 2016 project on Ranking

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Mar 6 00:33:38 GMT 2016

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 09:17:17PM +0530, Arnav Jain wrote:

> I have some ideas and would like to discuss with the mentors on the
> Ranking projects. I have read the documentation, reading some
> research papers on best ranking methods that can be implemented and
> going through the code.

Hi, Arnav, and welcome to Xapian! Have you read through our guide for
potential GSoC students (https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide)?
That's a good way to get started with the code.

Beyond that, you can jump on here or IRC to ask concrete
questions. For the weighting schemes project, for instance, you'll
need to propose which schemes you'd want to implement, and show an
awareness of what changes would be needed to Xapian's core to support
them (such as additional statistics to track at a database level).

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org