GSoC 2016 Project: Implement Bindings for R

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Mar 15 10:17:04 GMT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:47:29AM +0530, Amanda Jayanetti wrote:

> Here's a link to my project proposal,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwR_mIaYtm8TT1U1S2dLbFlDUzQ/view?usp=sharing

Hi, Amanda. The GSoC website is now open for applications, so it would
be good if you could add this to there. (We don't have any yet, so I
don't really know how this will work -- sorry for asking you to be our
guineapig!)

It would be good to see some more detail for each of the pieces you've
broken the project down into; at the moment I don't know what a couple
of them will actually involve (eg the 'from Wikipedia' functionality
-- I can guess roughly what you're intending, but it would be good to
see something more concrete).

I don't really believe that wrapping the (document) 'delete'
functionality (which is one method) will take the same time as
implementing faceted search (which will at the least involve wrapping
a few classes, and may involve the ability to subclass in R, depending
on how much you want to support). Putting more detail into each step
(either within the timeline, or in the project details, it doesn't
really matter) should make it clearer which bits are more complex.

> There's an upcoming release at my internship place, so I'm kind of busy
> with some work here, however I will manage to develop a prototype before
> the end of this month, I hope that will strengthen my proposal.

I'd recommend working on your proposal first, as above, in case you
don't have time for more than that on top of your internship.

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org