GSOC-2016 Project : Clustering of search results

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Mar 15 10:21:40 GMT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:02:01PM +0530, Richhiey Thomas wrote:

> I wouldn't mind making a clang format file as a part of a pre-GSOC
> exercise too! It can just help me get used to the indentation style
> and the way the code is laid out in Xapian.  Also, is there any
> other way I can start contributing to the project or anything that I
> can go ahead with during this period?

You can pick up a bite-size project or a bug. There are links in our
GSoC guide.

I had a quick play last night with clang-format, and I haven't been
able to get it to behave properly with our brace style, and there's
aspects of the indentation style used in a lot of code which are
difficult to express for a formatting tool as well. (It also threw up
fair number of tiny inconsistencies in our source code, but that's not
a huge problem.) So it might not actually be helpful, but that's
something we can discuss over the next few weeks; I'd recommend trying
to get a change ready for merge if you have some extra time right now.

> I will be sending across my first proposal in a few hours from now! Hoping
> for constructive criticism on the same!

Great!

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org