New to Xapian project

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Oct 3 07:36:26 BST 2016

Hi Touqir,

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 04:47:41PM -0600, Touqir Sajed wrote:
> I am currently pursuing my computing science bachelors degree at
> university of Alberta, Canada. My speciality lie in Information
> retrieval, machine learning and data mining. In order to get hands on
> experience with real world information retrieval systems, I would like
> to contribute to the Xapian project. I have been going through some of
> the project ideas in https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas. I
> am interested on the project "Clustering of Search Results" since I
> also have some experience with clustering in machine learning. Would
> you be able to let me know the status of this project??

Richhiey worked on it as a project for this GSoC.  I followed progress
but not in great detail, so I can tell you there's a pull request which
needs some more work, but not a lot more off the top of my head.

Here is the PR:

https://github.com/xapian/xapian/pull/122

Richhiey or James can probably give a more useful summary of where things
are at.

> Once I get
> familiar with its codebase and the current system status, I can think
> of possible extensions and ways of improving it. Feel free to share
> any directions that you think is preferable.

At this point, it's really more of a priority to get the existing code
finished off and merged.  You can certainly think about ways to extend
it, but I'd like to not get distracted from the merge.

So maybe you'd be best off to find something else to look at first?
A smaller project would probably be a better way to get to grips with
the codebase anyway.