A Greeting for Xapian community

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Mar 3 17:01:22 GMT 2019

On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 04:20:21PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On the documentation build, I'm not sure what's going on. I'm on
> Debian stable here, and I don't have texinfo installed. ./bootstrap
> completes successfully for me. My understanding of makeinfo is that
> it's not actually needed for Xapian, and the build system shouldn't
> complain about its absence.

I suspect what's going on here is that bootstrap will by default
download, build and install (into a subdirectory of the build tree) any
of the autotools for which suitable versions aren't already installed.
They have documentation in texinfo format, so if they don't ship the
generated .info files they would probably fail without makeinfo.

It probably works for James because he has suitable versions already
installed so bootstrap doesn't try to build its own.

> > But while I execute bootstrap, an error stopped the process with
> > message "makeinfo is missing". I checked detailed error info and
> > installed texinfo. Then bootstrap works successfully.

outdream: Do you have the log of the failure still?  Knowing the
context of the error would help narrow down exactly what needs makeinfo.