A Greeting for Xapian community

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Mar 3 17:13:09 GMT 2019

On 3 Mar 2019, at 17:01, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

> I suspect what's going on here is that bootstrap will by default
> download, build and install (into a subdirectory of the build tree) any
> of the autotools for which suitable versions aren't already installed.
> They have documentation in texinfo format, so if they don't ship the
> generated .info files they would probably fail without makeinfo.
>
> It probably works for James because he has suitable versions already
> installed so bootstrap doesn't try to build its own.

If this is what's going on, it's probably autoconf. My source/INST/bin contains automake and aclocal (1.16) and libtool all built today, but autoconf there is 2.69 (which matches my system version — not sure why it was installed, so I assume that's from a while ago; system automake is 1.15, so bootstrap would need to pull the more recent one).

 James Aylett
 devfort.com — spacelog.org — tartarus.org/james/