[Xapian-discuss] Perl XS bindings, postlist_begin

James Aylett james-xapian@tartarus.org
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:12:47 +0100

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 03:16:48PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > > We've discussed this before, and longer term we'll probably move to an
> > > error code strategy for the library [snip].
> > We should think about when to do this.
>
> It's probably not a huge amount of work.  But it's very wide ranging and
> quite invasive - I'd imagine almost it would touch the majority of files.

Yeah, seems likely.

> At present I've a number of unchecked in patches (mostly quartz
> reworking in progress), so this isn't a good time to be changing lots
> from my point of view.
>
> So perhaps for 0.9?

Sounds good to me, yes.

> Even if the comments are all useful, the "comments on docs" style will
> inherently lack coherency compared to being able to add content to the
> page itself.

A Wiki is better for this, certainly.

> I was looking at MoinMoin earlier, as someone else suggested it to me.
>
> The diff support looks ideal for how I envision this working, which is
> that a (human) editor would periodically sweep through the wiki and fold
> most additions into the base documents.  Then we probably reset the wiki
> to new base documents (or perhaps the editor just cleans up any problems
> and then copies the wiki to the base docs).

That seems a good model.

> The base documents being what goes in the release tarball (so the editor
> would try to do this shortly before a release, and perhaps at other
> times to avoid a huge pile of changes building up).

Indeed ... we'll have to play it by ear. Part of it will depend on how
much we change, and how much isn't already documented clearly. Most
things are reasonable, but there's certainly room for improvement (and
quick examples for things that aren't so obvious).

> > I can find some time to update the MoinMoin install on ixion.
> That'd be cool (and mailman - nudge).

Yes, and the procmail filter - I haven't forgotten, just am being
slow. MoinMoin v1.2.1 is installed now.

  james@tartarus.org                               uncertaintydivision.org