[Xapian-discuss] Future of Xapian (long)

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:08:16 +0100

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:00:39PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 06:07:39PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > So provided Xapian doesn't use static data or non-thread-safe library
> > calls (strtok, etc), there's not really much to do here.
>
> Richard pointed out to me last night that we may still be experiencing
> thread safety problems in the g++ STL, and there may be non-std::string
> issues in there also.

Unless I'm missing something, the only place it should be an issue is
in data structures implicitly shared between threads.  So memory
allocator pooling and "initialise on first use" stuff (iostreams is
probably like that I think).

There's only one part of Xapian I can think of which is problematic for
reentrancy (and that's not in use here) - it's the QueryParser.  Mostly
this is a hangover from when it was part of omega and threaded use
wasn't a consideration.