[Xapian-discuss] Future of Xapian (long)

Richard Boulton richard@lemurconsulting.com
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:28:20 +0100

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:00:39PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
>>Richard pointed out to me last night that we may still be experiencing
>>thread safety problems in the g++ STL, and there may be non-std::string
>>issues in there also.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, the only place it should be an issue is
> in data structures implicitly shared between threads.  So memory
> allocator pooling and "initialise on first use" stuff (iostreams is
> probably like that I think).

I ran the threaded tests Eric supplied using helgrind to check for data
races, and got several reports of problems in the std::string stuff.  Of
course, helgrind does have a tendency to report false positives, so I
thought I'd check if I still got the reports when using a different STL
implementation.

Unfortunately, I havn't yet been able to get Xapian compiled using
STLport - I'm giving it another go this morning.

--
Richard