[Xapian-discuss] PHP bindings on a Mac

Francis Irving francis@flourish.org
Wed, 26 May 2004 11:24:36 +0100

One of our developers would like to install the Xapian PHP bindings on
a Mac OS X laptop, where he runs our site locally.

This is the error message, which happens during "make" (NOT
configure):

checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for cin in -lstdc++... no
configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
make[3]: *** [xapian/php_xapian.la] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

It seems that the ./configure didn't make the file
php4/xapian/config.sub.  It isn't there at all.

This is the configure line he ran:
./configure --without-java --without-python --without-tcl
XAPIAN_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xapian-config SWIG=/usr/local/bin/swig

This warning it prints (on all operating systems) might be the
problem, but I don't understand what it means:

: # FIXME: this isn't going to work with an uninstalled libxapian
: # The whole "--with-xapian" concept is deeply flawed really
cd xapian &&\
 ./configure --with-xapian="`echo -I/usr/local/include|sed
 's!^-I!!;s!/include$!!'`" &&\
  make

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Francis