[Xapian-discuss] PHP bindings on a Mac

rm@fabula.de rm@fabula.de
Wed, 26 May 2004 12:36:17 +0200

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:24:36AM +0100, Francis Irving wrote:
> One of our developers would like to install the Xapian PHP bindings on
> a Mac OS X laptop, where he runs our site locally.
>
> This is the error message, which happens during "make" (NOT
> configure):
>
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
> checking for cin in -lstdc++... no
> configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
> make[3]: *** [xapian/php_xapian.la] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> It seems that the ./configure didn't make the file
> php4/xapian/config.sub.  It isn't there at all.
>
> This is the configure line he ran:
> ./configure --without-java --without-python --without-tcl
> XAPIAN_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xapian-config SWIG=/usr/local/bin/swig

Hmm, aren't XAPIAN_CONFIG and SWIG environment variables? I'm a bit
rusty on the way autoconf magic works but i think these should go
_before_ the invocation of ./configure (so the shell "sees" them):

  XAPIAN_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xapian-config SWIG=/usr/local/bin/swig ./configure --without-java --without-python --without-tcl

> This warning it prints (on all operating systems) might be the
> problem, but I don't understand what it means:
>
> : # FIXME: this isn't going to work with an uninstalled libxapian
> : # The whole "--with-xapian" concept is deeply flawed really
> cd xapian &&\
>  ./configure --with-xapian="`echo -I/usr/local/include|sed
>  's!^-I!!;s!/include$!!'`" &&\
>   make

Basically it means what it says: you can only build/install the Xapian bindings
once you have _installed_ the Xapian library, i.e. it's _not_ enough to download
and build Xapian core and then give the place where you unpacked/compiled Xapian
to '--with-xapian='.

> Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Hope this helps

    Ralf Mattes