[Xapian-discuss] Swig bug for PHP

Richard Boulton richard@lemurconsulting.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:01:12 +0100

rm@fabula.de wrote:
> Hmm, so i have to dump my perfectly nice working swig-1.3.19 ;-/
> I'd say: if the build doesn't " .... dependent on any of the features  ..."
> such a limitation seems to be too restrictive.  It would be trivial
> to add a makefile rule to touch std_common.i  iff it doesn't exist.

Not completely trivial.  You can't assume that you have permission to
modify the swig code (usually you'll need to be root to do that), so you
have to make std_common.i in <builddir>/php4/.  But, you don't want to
do this if std_common.i actually exists in the swig distribution, or it
might use the blank one instead (I'm not _certain_ that swig places
higher priority on local files than its built in ones, but I'd expect it
to).  So, you have to locate the swig files, test for existence of
std_common.i, and touch a local version if it's not present.

Sounds messy, rather than trivial, to me.

I think its a mistake to make the build process any more complex than it
has to be.  Adding in special cases to work around bugs in pieces of
software is an unnecessary complication when you can just require a
version which is fixed.

If you're willing to hack your installed version, just hack it so that
it reports its version as 1.3.20.  Or install 1.3.20.

--
Richard