[Xapian-discuss] bindings - python module

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Sep 2 11:52:08 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:26:58AM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 02:58:19AM -0600, gervin23 wrote:
> > i'm using the development branch (~x86) for everything on this box and
> > qpkg reports libtool at version 1.5.2-r5.
>
> Hmm ... so it's installing in /usr/local/lib/python/site-packages/ ?
> And putting two files, xapian.py and xapian there, and renaming the
> latter to xapian.so makes it work ... ?

Presumably you mean renaming _xapian to _xapian.so?

I think this is probably a problem with mismatching bits of libtool at
bootstrap time.  I've seen the same problem sometimes - they renamed
a shell variable which stores the shared library suffix so if the bits
don't match you lose the ".so" (or whatever).  For actually linking to
the library with libtool this generally doesn't seem to matter so
"make check" passes.  So it's possible one of the releases was
incorrectly bootstrapped.  Or perhaps andrew bootstrapped from CVS.

Andrew - which version of xapian-bindings are you using here?