[Xapian-discuss] bindings - python module

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Thu Sep 2 14:03:38 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 11:52, Olly Betts wrote:
> Presumably you mean renaming _xapian to _xapian.so?
>
> I think this is probably a problem with mismatching bits of libtool at
> bootstrap time.  I've seen the same problem sometimes - they renamed
> a shell variable which stores the shared library suffix so if the bits
> don't match you lose the ".so" (or whatever).  For actually linking to
> the library with libtool this generally doesn't seem to matter so
> "make check" passes.  So it's possible one of the releases was
> incorrectly bootstrapped.  Or perhaps andrew bootstrapped from CVS.

I believe release 0.8.0 was incorrectly bootstrapped in this way.
When building the debian bindings, I came across just this problem,
which is why the debian bindings bootstrap themselves from a clean CVS
checkout.

I'd just read this thread, and been racking my brain trying to work out
when I'd seen the problem before - thanks Olly.

--
Richard