[Xapian-discuss] bindings - python module

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Sep 3 09:12:51 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:49:45PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > exactly. it had originally installed _xapian.a, _xapian.la, _xapian, and
> > xapian.py to /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages. then by renaming _xapian
> > to _xapian.so it worked.
>
> James: We don't want _xapian.a installing there, do we?  I think that's
> just a hangover from when I changed it to use libtool to build the
> shared libraries for the bindings...

Don't need _xapian.la either - xapian.py is the Python file that
import xapian will use; it itself imports _xapian as a shared object,
so you need _xapian.so; the others won't be used.

Incidentally, it might be nice to have an install hook to byte compile
xapian.py, merely because if you're installing as root but
subsequently running as another user it won't be able to save the .pyc
as the user.

> > i'm using 0.8.1.
> OK.  I'm close to releasing 0.8.2 but I'll run a test build of the
> python bindings to check this is actually solved before I do.  I'll also
> check my libtool installation and nuke any cruft from older versions.

Are you going to move up to more recent autotools before 0.8.2 or
after? Just wondering if I need to bother upgrading yet :-)