[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 0.8.2 released

Fabrice Colin fabrice.colin at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 16 22:44:47 BST 2004

Olly Betts wrote:
> The important difference between the two for us is that 1.3.19 is
> missing std_common.i for one of the bindings - I think PHP4, but I
> may be wrong.  The file can just be empty, so as root just:

> That'll be good enough for preparing a spec file anyway.

Thanks for the info. I actually found v1.3.21 in the developement
branch shortly after sending my previous email.

The Python bindings build fine (I am using the snapshot at
http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/HEAD/) but I have run into a
couple of errors with the other bindings.

For php4, make complains it can't find simplesearch.php :

make[5]: Entering directory
`/opt/burn/image/Linux/Xapian/v0.8.2/xapian-bindings-0.8.2/php4/docs/examples'
make[5]: *** No rule to make target `simplesearch.php', needed by
`all-am'.  Stop.
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/opt/burn/image/Linux/Xapian/v0.8.2/xapian-bindings-0.8.2/php4/docs/examples'

For Java, I get this :

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++  -Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2   -o
libxapian_jni.la -rpath ../../java/built  Database.lo Document.lo
ESet.lo ESetIterator.lo Enquire.lo MSet.lo MSetIterator.lo
PositionIterator.lo Query.lo RSet.lo Stem.lo TermIterator.lo
WritableDatabase.lo org_xapian_XapianJNI.lo utils.lo
/usr/lib/libxapianqueryparser.la /usr/lib/libxapian.la
libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
make[3]: *** [libxapian_jni.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/opt/burn/image/Linux/Xapian/v0.8.2/xapian-bindings-0.8.2/java/native'

I worked around it by running "/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++
-Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2   -o libxapian_jni.la -rpath
$PWD/../../java/built ...".

Further down the line, another error crops up :

/usr/local/java/bin/javac -d . AssertionError.java
AssertionError.java:32: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class LogicError
location: class org.xapian.errors.AssertionError
public class AssertionError extends LogicError {
                                     ^
1 error
make[5]: *** [AssertionError.class] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/opt/burn/image/Linux/Xapian/v0.8.2/xapian-bindings-0.8.2/java/org/xapian/errors'

My Java is a bit rusty, but I thought javac searched for source files
in the current directory too. I tried with "-sourcepath ." but to no
avail. I am using j2sdk 1.4.2_04.

As for guile and tcl8, they are not enabled by configure (not put in the
Makefile SUBDIRS) even though I have the latest devel packages and they
actually build fine. Of the two, only tcl8 installs something. Is this
the normal behaviour ?

Any idea what I am missing ?

What I'll do is have the spec file only builds the Python and TCL
bindings for the time being...

Fabrice