[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 0.8.2 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Sep 16 23:14:42 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:44:47PM +0100, Fabrice Colin wrote:
> The Python bindings build fine (I am using the snapshot at
> http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/HEAD/) but I have run into a
> couple of errors with the other bindings.
>
> For php4, make complains it can't find simplesearch.php :

That's because it's not marked for distribution.  Fixed.

> For Java, I get this :
>
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++  -Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2   -o
> libxapian_jni.la -rpath ../../java/built  Database.lo Document.lo
> ESet.lo ESetIterator.lo Enquire.lo MSet.lo MSetIterator.lo
> PositionIterator.lo Query.lo RSet.lo Stem.lo TermIterator.lo
> WritableDatabase.lo org_xapian_XapianJNI.lo utils.lo
> /usr/lib/libxapianqueryparser.la /usr/lib/libxapian.la
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
> make[3]: *** [libxapian_jni.la] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/opt/burn/image/Linux/Xapian/v0.8.2/xapian-bindings-0.8.2/java/native'
>
> I worked around it by running "/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++
> -Wall -W -Wunused -g -O2   -o libxapian_jni.la -rpath
> $PWD/../../java/built ...".

OK, I can see what's happening.  Fixed.

> Further down the line, another error crops up :
>
> /usr/local/java/bin/javac -d . AssertionError.java
> AssertionError.java:32: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : class LogicError
> location: class org.xapian.errors.AssertionError
> public class AssertionError extends LogicError {
>                                     ^
> 1 error
> make[5]: *** [AssertionError.class] Error 1
> make[5]: Leaving directory
> `/opt/burn/image/Linux/Xapian/v0.8.2/xapian-bindings-0.8.2/java/org/xapian/errors'
>
> My Java is a bit rusty, but I thought javac searched for source files
> in the current directory too. I tried with "-sourcepath ." but to no
> avail. I am using j2sdk 1.4.2_04.

I have no idea.  Eric?

> As for guile and tcl8, they are not enabled by configure (not put in the
> Makefile SUBDIRS) even though I have the latest devel packages and they
> actually build fine.
>
> Of the two, only tcl8 installs something. Is this
> the normal behaviour ?

Guile will build now, after I added the missing guile/extra.i (it's
empty, but needs to be there).  But I don't know guile so can't check
if the bindings actually work so currently they are never enabled by
configure.

I know Ralf Mattes did some work on the guile bindings and I believe
he's using them.  But I've not seen any patches - last I heard he was
trying to resolve some GOOPS issues with the SWIG guile maintainer.

Nothing is installed for guile because I don't know where to install
it!

Tcl8 should be detected though - configure checks that tclsh reports
a version >= 8.0, and tries to check that the dev package is installed
by looking for tcl.h.

What does this report:

echo 'puts $tcl_library'|tclsh