[Xapian-discuss] stemming problems with perl interface

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Dec 29 13:32:35 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:38:17PM +0000, Matthias Zeichmann wrote:
> i am having trouble getting german stemming to work correctly; at least it
> appears like the stemmers of Search::Xapian::QueryParser and
> Search::Xapian::Stem yield different results for german.

Xapian::QueryParser currently normalises accents, so the u-umlaut is
normalised to "ue".  As you've noticed, this is a bit unexpected - where
such normalisation is the appropriate thing to do, it should really be
done in the stemmer itself.  I'm currently tying up loose ends for
0.9.3, then my plan is to address this along with merging the utf-8
patches and the latest snowball stemmers in a new major release.

Here's some previous discussion:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/1815