[Xapian-discuss] QueryParser stemming

Tim Brody tdb01r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 11:57:54 BST 2005

Hi,

I'm considering expanding Xapian to cover all of my search fields:
authors => A
title => T [stemmed]
description => D [stemmed]
date => Y [range?]
(fulltext => F) [stemmed]

I would like to allow users to specify a query e.g.
Brody impact analysis 2004

If the user isn't explicit with prefixing I need to be able modify the
query terms (e.g. 'Brody' is an author name) to apply stemming and
prefixing as appropriate.

I don't think I can achieve this with the current Perl bindings. To do
title OR description OR fulltext I need to iterate over the terms and
add the appropriate prefix for each field. Similarly I will want to stem
title/description terms, but leave author terms alone.

So, is this feasible? Is there a better approach? Shall I start adding
the Internals to Perl's bindings?

(And what happened to my patches? :-)

Thanks,
Tim.