[Xapian-discuss] Re: Problem with bindings and MinGW

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Mar 28 11:27:07 BST 2005

Francesco - I'm forwarding this on to the xapian-discuss mailing list,
which is the best place to get help on this sort of thing. Apologies
that this wasn't obvious from our website!

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 10:50:27AM -0800, Francesco Garosi wrote:

> I'm interested in Xapian as a possible search engine for a
> Python project I'm developing. The reason why I write to you,
> is that I saw that you've been fixing bugs... so please excuse
> me if I'm bothering you: I saw no other contact on the
> xapian.org web pages.

Olly, and chance of a standard footer across xapian.org which includes
a link 'Contact' => lists.php or similar. Also, on lists.php,
s/general discussions/general questions and discussions/ or similar?

On to the issue itself:

> I've been spending the last two days trying to set up Python
> bindings for the library on Win32 with MinGW/MSYS. I know,
> it's probably not your main platform, but someone might need
> it as I do, for whatever reason. The reason why it fails, I think,
> is that Xapian::Remote::open is probably not supported on
> Win32.

The network backend isn't supported on Win32 as I understand it,
although that's not noted in the PLATFORMS file. It may be that these
days it's been reported to work and I just haven't noticed, however
:-).

Which version of MSYS/MingW are you using? Which GCC version?

> When I realized it, I finally managed to exclude from the
> (provided) SWIG-generated xapian_wrap.cc the unsupported
> lines, and to "gently" raise an exception when remote_open()
> is called.
[snip patch]

If the remote backend doesn't work on mingw, we should detect this in
the bindings configure and disable the wrappers automatically, I
think.

I'll forward the entire original message to the list in a minute
(sorry, this will break threading I suspect :-(.