[Xapian-discuss] Re: Problem with bindings and MinGW

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Mar 28 11:56:07 BST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:27:07AM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> Olly, and chance of a standard footer across xapian.org which includes
> a link 'Contact' => lists.php or similar. Also, on lists.php,
> s/general discussions/general questions and discussions/ or similar?

I'll sort something out...

> The network backend isn't supported on Win32 as I understand it,
> although that's not noted in the PLATFORMS file. It may be that these
> days it's been reported to work and I just haven't noticed, however
> :-).

You need fork, socketpair, gethostbyname and gethostbyaddr for the
remote backend.  And if any of these are missing, configure will disable
the remote backend automatically.

I doubt mingw supports fork (I think cygwin does nowadays).  The
requirement for fork is only in the remote daemon (xapian-tcpd) so could
probably be worked around.

> If the remote backend doesn't work on mingw, we should detect this in
> the bindings configure and disable the wrappers automatically, I
> think.

It should be a robust mechanism, such that manually disabled backends
don't break the bindings either.