[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 0.9.0 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat May 14 13:28:34 BST 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 09:54:37AM +0200, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> Is a database-rebuild advised?

Not really.  I found a few places where quartz could be made a little
more compact within the limits of existing format, so a rebuild would
come out a little smaller.  But it would be quicker (and just as
effective) to run the database through quartzcompact if you want to
benefit from those.

> Is the zlib-patch you sent me a few days
> back valid for this release or is that zlib-work incorporated in this
> version?

The revised zlib patch applies cleanly.  My plan is to fold the zlib
patch into the "flint" backend fairly soon.

> I noticed this change in the build-system:
> * configure: If any tools needed for documentation are missing
>   and we're in maintainer mode, die with a suitable error in
>   configure rather than with strange errors when building the
>   documentation.
>
> For the zlib-addition I needed to use maintainer-mode, but afaik I don't
> have the appropriate tools for the documentation and I don't really need
> the documentation to be built, previously it continued and built
> perfectly, is that still the case?

No.  Hmm, perhaps I need to separate "I want to be able to modified
configure.ac and Makefile.am" from "I want to be able to build
releases".

In this case you can easily just modify Makefile.in directly (or
Makefile if you've already run configure) and not use
--enable-maintainer-mode.

Look at the end of the patch and you'll see the only change to
Makefile.am is to add -lz.  The place to change in Makefile.in/Makefile
looks identical to that the patch shows.

> Did you incorporate the improved/reversed sorting already in omega?

Not yet.

> Btw, I couldn't find that change in the news-file?

It's there - search for "reverse sort".