[Xapian-discuss] Mac OS X building...

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun Oct 2 03:39:50 BST 2005

Hi Olly,

I'm afraid your changes still don't do the trick on Tiger (10.4.2).
Here is the sequence of compilation commands I attempted to use:

$ cd xapian-core-0.9.2_svn6375
$ ./configure --prefix=/tmp/xapian
$ make; make install
$ cd ../xapian-bindings-0.9.2_svn6375
$ XAPIAN_CONFIG=/tmp/xapian/bin/xapian-config ./configure \
     --without-php --without-tcl --without-guile --without-csharp --
without-java
$ make

The failure presents itself as:

g++  -o .libs/_xapian.so -bundle  .libs/xapian_wrap.o  /Users/chrism/
tmp/xap1/lib/libxapian.dylib
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_PyArg_ParseTuple
.... <and so on>

(e.g. the same as before your change).  Doing:

$ MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 make

... right afterwards also ends up with the same failure.  Sed'ing the
bindings configure script before running it with "sed -e "s/-bundle/-
bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup/g" -i bak configure" continues to do
the trick though as long as MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 is set.

Maybe I could help if I knew which files to play around with.  I'm an
automake/autoconfigure dummy but I could probably help fix it with a
bit of a shove in the right direction.

Thanks for your efforts!

- C