[Xapian-discuss] Mac OS X building...

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Oct 2 14:51:07 BST 2005

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 09:39:50PM -0500, Chris McDonough wrote:
> The failure presents itself as:
>
> g++  -o .libs/_xapian.so -bundle  .libs/xapian_wrap.o  /Users/chrism/
> tmp/xap1/lib/libxapian.dylib
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _PyArg_ParseTuple
> .... <and so on>

What's the few lines before this (i.e. the libtool command that the
Makefile actually runs, which then runs this g++ command)?

> Sed'ing the
> bindings configure script before running it with "sed -e "s/-bundle/-
> bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup/g" -i bak configure" continues to do
> the trick though as long as MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 is set.

This is annoying as libtool adds code to configure which should be
adding "-undefined dynamic_lookup" by itself if MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
is set (which configure now should be doing).

> Maybe I could help if I knew which files to play around with.  I'm an
> automake/autoconfigure dummy but I could probably help fix it with a
> bit of a shove in the right direction.

Could you send the output of these commands (from the
xapian-core-0.9.2_svn6375 directory):

./config.guess
grep host_os config.log
grep allow_undefined_flag libtool