[Xapian-discuss] Omega example

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Apr 10 02:22:57 BST 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:12:12PM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I've taken the liberty of adding an example Omega config, install and
> indexing to the wiki.

Thanks!

> I've added a pointer to the front page.  I had
> hoped I'd be able to actually put an html document on the wiki, but I
> didn't seem to be able to, so I've added a link to the tutorial on my site.

Yeah, allowing anyone to put arbitrary HTML on your site is allows
cross-site scripting attacks, and parsing HTML to remove "unsafe" parts
isn't easy to get right.  Also, HTML isn't the easiest markup to learn.

So wikis use their own simple markup language (which varies between
different wiki implementations but they usually have a lot in common).

Anyway, I've converted your HTML to wiki markup while waiting for debian
packages to build (or fail to build more often, sigh):

http://wiki.xapian.org/OmegaExample

Generally it looks pretty good.  Suggesting people run the indexer as
root really isn't a good idea though.

Xapian and Omega largely use C++ strings rather than raw buffers which
should help avoid buffer overflows, but several of the filter programs
which omindex calls have had security advisories in the past couple of
years.  Running as root means that the consequences of any security
hole could be a lot more serious.

For now, I've added a note that it's not recommended.  I'll rewrite
that part later if nobody beats me to it.