[Xapian-discuss] zip/rar support

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Aug 25 00:24:18 BST 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:59:24PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:46:08PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>
> > Problems:
> > * omindex support for zip,rar,outlook msg and excel xls.
> >
> > I hacked a preliminary custom filter for xls and msg into the omindex.cc,
> >  http://www.fileformat.info/format/outlookmsg/
> > And added zip/rar support by decrompessing into a root+"/tmp/"+file dir,
> > indexing there and removing the root+"/tmp/"+file afterwards.

I don't understand how this works.  The unpacked files will get indexed
with URLs which don't work after you remove the unpacked files...

> We can't accept code to support RAR into any of the core Xapian
> packages, because of patent restrictions. (At least, that's my
> understanding; IANAL.)

I notice debian has an unrar-free package in main.  This doesn't mean
that there aren't patents involved, but does strongly suggest that any
there are aren't being enforced.