[Xapian-discuss] zip/rar support

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Fri Aug 25 07:20:22 BST 2006

Olly Betts schrieb:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:59:24PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:46:08PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>>
>>> Problems:
>>> * omindex support for zip,rar,outlook msg and excel xls.
>>>
>>> I hacked a preliminary custom filter for xls and msg into the omindex.cc,
>>>  http://www.fileformat.info/format/outlookmsg/
>>> And added zip/rar support by decrompessing into a root+"/tmp/"+file dir,
>>> indexing there and removing the root+"/tmp/"+file afterwards.
>
> I don't understand how this works.  The unpacked files will get indexed
> with URLs which don't work after you remove the unpacked files...

Those are magic.
Prefixed by <urlprefix>/.zip/<path-to-archive>/<path-to-packed-file>,
and the <urlprefix> script behind the query template can easily pick it
up there.

>> We can't accept code to support RAR into any of the core Xapian
>> packages, because of patent restrictions. (At least, that's my
>> understanding; IANAL.)
>
> I notice debian has an unrar-free package in main.  This doesn't mean
> that there aren't patents involved, but does strongly suggest that any
> there are aren't being enforced.

I did further work on omega, esp. configure.ac and the optional
libtextcat integration, but it's not ready yet.
textcat crashes.
I also added it to scriptindex.
Should I post the patch here, or do you want to wait until it's ready?
--
Reini Urban