[Xapian-discuss] Proximity in Xapian?

Sharjeel Ahmed Qureshi sharjeel.ahmed at vahzay.com
Tue Dec 5 06:58:57 GMT 2006

Hi,

I just went through the overview of Query Processing in Xapian (
http://www.xapian.org/docs/overview.html &
http://www.xapian.org/docs/intro_ir.html ). According to the
documentation, Xapian does not incorporate Proximity based searching and
proximity based relevance. During the query processing, each term's
weight is evaluated, every document is ranked according to term's weight
and also query operator (AND, OR, NOT) etc is applied. Nowhere does it
mention use of positions of terms. My question is if positions are used
for relevance during searching or are they only used for proximity based
  searching such as PHRASE or NEAR? In any case how is this information
used?

Regards,
Sharjeel