[Xapian-discuss] xapian-tcpsrv very slow

Roger Fishwick roger at keyslider.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 11:19:26 GMT 2006

--On 08 February 2006 19:02 +0000 Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

<snip>
> I'd expect some overhead from the remote link, but not that much.  And
> you're using loopback so it's not a slow network.
>
> The webtop guys used xapian-tcpsrv to search 500 million documents with
> sub-second query times, and that involved a real network (albeit a
> fast one).  It's possible something has changed in the code which
> is causing a problem now though.  Nobody's using it heavily that I'm
> aware of.
I'll spend the rest of today trying to get my head around the code/debug if
I can spot a problem I'll feed it back if not it will have to go on my
revisit list as I'm pretty short for time.

> Hmm, are you using Omega here?  If so, did you disable $topterms from
> the query template?
No, our code via php bindings

>> Any ideas would be well received.
>
> An alternative approach is to run Omega on the xapian machine searching
> databases locally, and use the xml template (or something similar) to
> return XML results which the web server machine reads and formats for
> display.
sadly omega will not do what we need, however, I was thinking whilst
looking at the server code that I could probably write a light weight
server that implemented the required logic in 1 or 2 days. It's not the
ideal solution but it may well provide a way forward.  I think we have plan
B for Friday and the weekend.

Again both of you many thanks.

Roger