[Xapian-discuss] xapian-tcpsrv very slow

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 10 07:32:30 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:19:26AM +0000, Roger Fishwick wrote:
> No, our code via php bindings

Can you isolate what takes the time?  Is it the call in the PHP code to
Enquire_get_mset itself, or something later?

I had a quick look at the code, but nothing jumps out at me as
problematic.  If it's Enquire_get_mset that's slow and you've not
figured out the problem, perhaps you could generate a debug trace for me
to look at?

To do this, "make distclean", and then configure with "./configure
--enable-debug-verbose", then set (and export) XAPIAN_DEBUG_LOG and
XAPIAN_DEBUG_FLAGS in the environment before running your tests - for
bash:

export XAPIAN_DEBUG_LOG='xapian-%%.log'
export XAPIAN_DEBUG_FLAGS=-1

This will generate a file for each PID (so one for the client and one
for the server), called xapian-<PID>.log.  They'll probably be large
so compress them (bzip2 or gzip ideally) and send them to me directly.
Hopefully that should shed light on what's going on.