[Xapian-discuss] Python or PHP hangs when loading a cygwin Xapian module

Thomas Deniau thomas at deniau.org
Wed Feb 22 15:43:37 GMT 2006

Hi,

As you may already know, I've been working for some days on getting the PHP
bindings compiled with Cygwin, and getting them to work.

For my previous status report see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/2312

Now, thanks to changes made to SWIG, the PHP bindings compile correctly even
with ZTS enabled. You get a DLL that is installed in PHP's ext/ directory.

However, when you try to load it, PHP just hangs (both when running as an Apache
module and when running standalone).

I then tried to use the Python bindings (maybe I could have re-programmed my
client web site using Python...).

The Python bindings compile just fine using the same tricks I used for PHP
(copying python24.dll to libpython24.dll, compile the Windows sources with
Cygwin to get the necessary header files, etc.). The test made by make then
fails, but you get a working DLL file that you can copy to Python24\DLLs.

However, when I try to load the Python module, Python just... hangs. Just like
PHP.

I also tried the instructions put forth by Patrick Mezard at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/2071 (generate a
libpython24.a by hand), but the exact same problem occurs.

I tried to run a dependency check on the DLLs and I found out that they require
a file named "apphelp.dll" which couldn't be found. Google reports that that's
a DLL required by IE6, but that only WinXP has it, not Win2K (and IE still
works fine, but any other apps have problems loading the DLLs). Since Patrick
seems not to have had any such problems, and since he is running WinXP, I'm
wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I fail because I'm using Win2K.

However, before I copied cygxapian10.dll to a DLL include dir, I had gotten
error messages about missing DLLs, so I think that if there was a dependency
problem I would get the same message again.

Has anyone had any luck with any bindings with Cygwin (reminder : I'm trying to
use Cygwin bindings with native Windows apps - a binary Windows distribution of
PHP and/or Python and a module compiled with Cygwin) ?

Thanks...

--
Thomas Deniau