[Xapian-discuss] Optimization and Load balancing with Xapian

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Fri Feb 24 13:55:50 GMT 2006

For our set-up I ran some tests and noticed the sorted-by-value runs
were indeed a slower, but not as dramatic as yours. It varied from 2 to
8 times as slow (the time Omega reports) than the non-value sorted
search. The query 'cpu ram' (wdf resp 80108 and 62900) took 0.107
seconds in relevance-sorting and 0.336 when sorting on a date.

Of course our hardware is (likely) much faster than yours, but our
database is larger too (1.1M documents and 12GB on disk in compacted
flint). Are these the initial runs for those queries, or did you rerun
the tests a few times, i.e. its unfair to compare a non-cached
value-sorted run to a (then) cached relevance-sorted run.

Best regards,

Arjen