[Xapian-discuss] Building Xapian and Python Bindings for Windows: Solved

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jan 3 04:17:20 GMT 2006

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 10:55:52PM +0100, Patrick M?zard wrote:
> *- Update the root makefile to take in account the backend archive
> targets. It means creating a variable like:
> """
> BACKENDS_LA =   backends/quartz/libquartz.la \
>                 backends/flint/libflint.la \
>                 backends/multi/libmulti.la \
>                 backends/inmemory/libinmemory.la
> """
> and adding it la_DEPENDENCIES and la_LIBADD actions in makefile.in.

I suspect that this is a consequence of the "wrong find.exe" problem.
I'm just putting together a mail to send to the libtool list.

> checking for python... /cygdrive/d/Python23//python

This is odd - if that's not a python interpreter then the code where we
check the python version should fail to match the patterns for the
python versions we support and configure should disable the python
bindings.

I wonder if PYTHON is set in your environment - does "echo $PYTHON"
output anything?

Is there anything at all at the path "/cygdrive/d/Python23//python"?
What does "ls -l /cygdrive/d/Python23" output?

> The python path detected by configure is definitely wrong. Do not worry,
> it would not have worked with a good one since the installer also miss
> cygwin xapian DLL.

It should work - configure looks for xapian-config which should report
where the xapian library is installed.  If you've installed it using a
prefix such that xapian-config isn't on your PATH, then you need to tell
xapian-binding's configure where xapian-config is like so:

./configure XAPIAN_CONFIG=/path/to/xapian-config