[Xapian-discuss] Building Xapian and Python Bindings for Windows: Solved

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jan 6 12:03:38 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:39:35AM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:06:25AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > > PYTHONPATH=".;.libs" /cygdrive/d/Python23//python -c "import xapian"
> > > /bin/sh: /cygdrive/d/Python23//python: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > If I replace "/cygdrive/d/Python23//python" with "python" the call works
> > > better but ultimately fails because the cygwin support DLL is not in
> > > python sys.path and thus cannot be imported by "_xapian.dll".
> >
> > So is the "No such file or directory" an error from the python
> > interpreter failing to find some other file?
>
> No, that error looks like it's not finding the python interpreter.

You're right - the "/bin/sh:" points strongly that way.

> Is cygwin case sensitive for filenames?

No (or rather only if the filing system is - for example, a Linux SMB
share mounted on Windows).

I wonder if it's the "//" which is the problem - perhaps something is
confused and thinking "UNC path" or something.

Patrick: What happens if you edit "Makefile" and replace the "//" with
"/"?  If that's the problem, it's trivial to fix in configure.