[Xapian-discuss] Encrypted Database Files

David Blewett david at dawninglight.net
Wed Jan 18 02:09:02 GMT 2006

Hi all:

I tried to subscribe over the weekend, and haven't gotten an email yet.
I'll try to post this and see if it lets me.

I'm considering using Xapian to index email messages in an IMAP server
I'm writing. Is it possible to encrypt the databases stored on disk, so
that someone cannot recover their contents?

What I would like to do is when a message is received, send it through
Xapian to be indexed. Then encrypt the contents and store it. When I
run a search through Xapian, all I need is some sort of ID so I can
retrieve the message and decrypt it. I don't want someone to be able to
use the Xapian database to reconstruct the messages indexed. Is this
possible?  If not, is there another indexing engine that can? Thanks!

David