[Xapian-discuss] Encrypted Database Files

Jim Lynch jim at fayettedigital.com
Tue Jan 24 15:25:18 GMT 2006

I don't know if there is a way to turn off positional information in the
database or not, however if there isn't then a person could conceivably
rebuild the message.  If stemming is turned on, the words might be a
little strange, e. g. no plurals, no -ed or -ing, etc. but the gist of
the message could be recognizable.  I doubt there is a modern search
engine that doesn't store positional information.

As James said earlier, I've never tried it, but I think it is possible.

It would be a lot of work and it would slow searching and indexing down
a bunch but you could modify the code to store encoded blocks of data
since the source is available to you.  In fact, you would only need to
encode the positional data, not the terms themselves.

Jim.