[Xapian-discuss] Encrypted Database Files

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Tue Jan 24 16:05:21 GMT 2006

Jim Lynch wrote:

> I don't know if there is a way to turn off positional information in
> the database or not, however if there isn't then a person could
> conceivably rebuild the message.  If stemming is turned on, the words
> might be a little strange, e. g. no plurals, no -ed or -ing, etc. but
> the gist of the message could be recognizable.  I doubt there is a
> modern search engine that doesn't store positional information.
> As James said earlier, I've never tried it, but I think it is possible.
> It would be a lot of work and it would slow searching and indexing
> down a bunch but you could modify the code to store encoded blocks of
> data since the source is available to you.  In fact, you would only
> need to encode the positional data, not the terms themselves.

The sort of data that is worth incrypting is almost by definition the
sort of data worth going to this much trouble to recover.

AFAIRC this actually happened about 20 years ago, some lowly students
who were not allowed copies of some of the dead-sea scrolls were allowed
an index of all scroll fragments (or words on fragmens) and where they
occurred in the main scroll; from this (using a mac computer no less)
the produced the original scroll.

BBC reported on this at the time.

Sam