[Xapian-discuss] Strange behavior with the Python bindings and threads

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Jul 16 01:53:46 BST 2006

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 08:23:49PM -0400, jarrod roberson wrote:
> The only thing we can think of is the SWIG Python bindings aren't releasing
> the GIL correctly or something?

I don't know enough about them to say.  You could look at the generated
code (the C++ is python/xapian_wrap.cc and the Python is in
python/modern/ for Python 2.2 and later) or ask on the SWIG mailing
list.

> Any ideas? A 30% speed up on ~9 days is significant!

If you're looking for speedups, did you set XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD in
the environment?  With 6GB of RAM you should be able to set a lot higher
than the default of 10000 (try a million or maybe more).  If you're I/O
bound, the biggest speedups will come from simply reducing the amount of
I/O!