[Xapian-discuss] Strange behavior with the Python bindings and threads

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jul 16 15:22:55 BST 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 01:53:46AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > The only thing we can think of is the SWIG Python bindings aren't releasing
> > the GIL correctly or something?
>
> I don't know enough about them to say.  You could look at the generated
> code (the C++ is python/xapian_wrap.cc and the Python is in
> python/modern/ for Python 2.2 and later) or ask on the SWIG mailing
> list.

Python itself isn't great a concurrent threading, although three
threads shouldn't generally cause significant problems.

When you say you're completely IO bound, do you know *where* you are
IO bound? What's your OS? What's your spindle layout? If you have the
Xapian db on the same spindle as the files you're indexing, for
instance, you may run into problems there (depending on the OS, cache
settings, file system type etc.).