[Xapian-discuss] Working Demo for WWW Search Engine

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Mar 2 09:19:06 GMT 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:25:23AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

[mysql]
> I am suprised they manage to be CPU bound on a large dataset though.

Was the 99% CPU usage all in user/kernel? I suspect a large chunk may
be iowait due to swap.

> But then MySQL is presumably also benefitting from such caching too.

It certainly does, but I've never been convinced it benefits as much
as it should. I certainly didn't notice a big slowdown when our
working set size (including indexes) exceeded the memory in our
database machine...