[Xapian-discuss] Xapian documentation

Jean-Francois Dockes jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 8 20:40:32 BST 2006

Olly Betts writes:
 > There are several SGML features which XML doesn't support, so it's
 > possible for an author to write an SGML DocBook document which would be
 > significant effort to move to XML.
 >
 > One example is that things like "<tag/foo/" isn't valid in XML (you
 > have to write "<tag>foo</tag>" instead.)

Yes, true, of course. In practice the DocBook SGML documents (FreeBSD) that
I know are quite close to being valid XML.

I think that the DocBook SGML DTD does allow unclosed <para> but that's
probably about as far as you're going to go :) I vaguely remember that
there are also issues with entities (I had to translate a document from
DocBook SGML to XML once, it was not hard).

I believe that there actually exists a DocBook SGML to XML converter script.

Anyway, XML is certainly the way to go.

jf