[Xapian-discuss] problem building xapian core

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat May 13 17:56:02 BST 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 08:28:25PM +0400, Denis Portnov wrote:
> Hi everybody, I'm new to xapian and trying to build it for the first time
> I'm getting the following error
>
> In function `Xapian::open_stub
> (Xapian::Database *, basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
> __default_alloc_template<false, 0> > const &)':
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsdelf/2.95.3/include/g++/streambuf.h:470:
> undefined reference to `ios virtual table'
>
> I have the following system
> FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
> gcc version 2.95.3

I successfully built 0.9.2 on that platform.  I no longer have an account
on that box so I've not tested newer versions.

But there's a regression in the latest libtool (which we used for the
last release) which affects FreeBSD.  I wonder if this is causing your
problem.  If you have libtool 1.5 installed (libtool --version should
say), then try libtoolize --force in the xapian-core directory and
rebuilding.

Otherwise, try a snapshot - SVN is particularly stable right now as I'm
working on the next release:

http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/trunk/

> also I don't have root access , do i have to be root to build xapian?

You don't.  Just configure it with --prefix=/home/denis/xapian-install
or similar and it'll happily install in your home directory.