[Xapian-discuss] migrating from Muscat 3.1

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon May 22 11:29:12 BST 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:55:49AM +0100, Graham Walley wrote:
> As a regular user of the old Muscat for text manipulation and exporting
> to Access databases is there a Muscatel type facility in Xapian?

Muscatel is rather tied in to the old Muscat command line API and macro
system, which is probably where Muscat and Xapian are most obviously
different, so there's no direct equivalent.

Back when Xapian was "Open Muscat" and aimed to be the next major
version of Muscat, we decided that most people didn't want to learn to
work a special purpose language so it was better to eliminate this part
of Muscat, and it was better to go for the more open solution of
providing bindings to general purpose scripting languages which many
people already know (such as Python and Perl.)

So you should be able to achieve everything you can with Muscatel in
Xapian, but not in the same way.  For arbitrary text manipulation, just
use your favourite scripting language.  For building databases using
data from arbitrary sources, either use a simple conversion script
piped into scriptindex, or use Xapian's indexing API directly.  For
exporting data from ad-hoc queries, you could use the bindings and write
a simple script, or perhaps use Omega with a suitable Omegascript template.

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you
> are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage,
> disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this
> e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Such a disclaimer is inappropriate for mail sent to a public mailing
list.  Mail sent to the mailing list *WILL* be publicly archived.