[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu packages for 0.9.9 available

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Nov 17 22:58:47 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:49:11PM -0500, Francis Irving wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the xapian-doc packages, on Ubuntu edgy.
> [...]
> Failed to fetch http://www.xapian.org/debian/pool/0.9.9/binary/xapian-doc_0.9.9-1.99edgy_all.deb  Size mismatch

I think the problem here is with how I'm now building the repo.

The xapian-doc package isn't architecture dependent (it's just
documentation).  It's built by both the amd64 and i386 builds,
and should be essentially identical apart from timestamp differences
(but it's compressed so that's enough to change the size).

Only one of these for "edgy" goes into the debian/pool directory,
and it's arbitrarily which it is.  However, each architecture's
Packages.gz file is generated using the packages built for that
architecture, so there will be a mismatch for xapian-doc for one of the
two architectures in each case.

I've tried to fix up the sizes and checksums but it's not easy to test.
If I've failed to get it right, the workaround is to just download the
xapian-doc package by hand and install it using dpkg:

wget http://www.xapian.org/debian/pool/0.9.9/binary/xapian-doc_0.9.9-1.99edgy_all.deb
dpkg -i xapian-doc_0.9.9-1.99edgy_all.deb

I'm going away for the weekend.  If it's still not working, let me know
and I'll fix it when I return.