[Xapian-discuss] Error on ./configure process with Xapian-bindings-0.9.6

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Sep 17 15:41:51 BST 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 03:06:35PM -0700, Sebi wrote:
> > It's quite possible you have the required tools installed, but
> > not on your PATH.  You can tell configure where to look - try
> > "./configure --help" - for PHP you might use:
>
> > ./configure PHP_CONFIG=c:/php5/bin/php-config
>
> So, this means I need to have php-config tool installed. I dont have
> PHP compiled with MingW compiler under MSYS. So, I dont have this
> tool. Is it necessary?

Under Unix, php-config is installed by default when you install PHP.
I don't know if it even exists under MS Windows - perhaps you build
PHP modules a different way there.

The information we get from php-config is:

Location of include file - a list of "-I<directory>".

PHP_EXTENSION_DIR - the directory where mod_xapian.dll should be
installed.

PHP_LIBS - the -L<directory> and -l<library> flags for linking
mod_xapian.dll.  Currently configure seems to think it needs to link
with -lphp4ts or -lphp5ts under mingw, but I'm not sure where that
knowledge came from without digging into the SVN history.

If there's some other way to find this information, I can get configure
to use it instead.  If you don't know, I'll see what I can find on the
web.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if you'll be able to build a PHP module with
mingw to use with PHP compiled with something else.  It seems to be
impossible to achieve this with Python at least.

> Should I install SWIG too under MSYS?

No, the tarballs come with SWIG already run - there's no need to have
SWIG installed unless you plan to modify the bindings themselves.