[Xapian-discuss] DANGEROUS mode slower?

Tom Mortimer tom at lemurconsulting.com
Fri Sep 22 12:56:55 BST 2006

On 22 Sep 2006, at 12:47, Olly Betts wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:58:32AM +0100, Tom Mortimer wrote:
>> What are other people's experiences of DANGEROUS?  Any ideas why I'm
>> getting this result?
>
> It was definitely faster for me when I did timings building the gmane
> index.  Not sure if that was with quartz or flint, but it shouldn't
> make much difference that I can see.  The main difference there is
> that
> I flush much less often.  So perhaps flushing is more expensive for
> some
> reason in dangerous mode?
>
> Perhaps try increasing the flush threshold and see what happens...

OK, I'll try 100,000 docs.

> Hmm, also do you use "UNIQUE" in your index script?

Nope, the entire script is this -

title : field=title
src   : field=src
text  : index

where the input looks like -

src=/home/maky/data/Reuters/newsml/19961130/226516newsML.xml
title=USA: ALPINE SKIING-RESULTS OF MEN'S WORLD CUP GIANT SLALOM.
text= Men's World Cup standings after the giant slalom in
Breckenridge....

and I use --stemmer=none

cheers,
Tom