[Xapian-discuss] Searching multiple databases using omega -> database couldn't be opened

Taco van den Broek taco.vandenbroek at procurios.nl
Fri Apr 6 10:07:29 BST 2007

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 06:25:55PM +0200, Taco van den Broek wrote:
>
>> So it must be in PHP I thought, but a simple script only running the
>> search command worked fine too.
>>

> A simple script run under CLI PHP?

A script containing two system calls: setting the OMEGA_CONFIG_FILE
variable and calling the omega executable.

>> The only difference left between this PHP script and the failing
>> search page is apache.
>>

> Perhaps PHP running under apache is somehow mangling the command line
> passed to system (perhaps in the name of "safety" or something).
>
> This crude patch to Omega should make it display the exception thrown
> if it fails to open a database (I'll look at improving it properly
> when I have a moment):
>
> http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/omega-db-opening-error.patch

The only visible effect of the patch was the addition of "Content-Type:
text/html" to the error message :)
> Cheers,
>     Olly

The problem has been solved: apache doesn't seem to use the open file
limit for its user as set in /etc/security/limits.conf. Running ulimit
-n 2048 (or any other sufficient number) in the script starting apache
did the trick.

I am somewhat confused about the error message though because it doesn't
state "Too many open files" as it did before I changed the open file
limit in limits.conf.

Thanks for the help!
Taco
--